HP Color LaserJet 8550 Printer with PCL5C
Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP
Driver Date & Version
31 May 2007 (ver. 61.071.661.41)
This driver supports the HP Color LaserJet 8550 running Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 32-bit systems.
The driver is PCL5 driver for HP Color LaserJet 8550. PCL or Printer Command Language is a Page description language (PDL) developed by HP as a printer protocol and has become a de facto industry standard.
Three types of PCL5 stadards were released by HP so far and accroding to the driver information hpc8550b.inf file in clj8550pcl5win2kxps2003.exe, PCL5C is supported for HP LaserJet 8550:
- The original PCL 5 was released on the HP LaserJet III in March 1990, adding Intellifont font scaling (developed by Compugraphic, now part of Agfa), outline fonts and HP-GL/2 (vector) graphics.
- PCL 5c introduced color support on the HP PaintJet 300XL and HP Color LaserJet in 1992.
- Newer PCL 5e (PCL 5 enhanced) was released on the HP LaserJet 4 in October 1992 and added bi-directional communication between the printer and the PC and Windows fonts.
Here is what I found on the driver INF file:
HP Color LaserJet 8550 PCL 5c =
- HP_Mombi_Driver_Name=[HP Color LaserJet 8550 PCL 5c]
Driver Installation for HP LaserJet 8550 XP OS Driver
- Turn on the printer first, then turn on the computer.
- Close any screen savers, virus protection programs, or other software programs running on your computer.
- Click on Download Now and a File Download box will appear.
- Select Save This Program to Disk and a Save As box will appear.
- Select a directory to save the file in and click Save.
- Locate the file using Windows Explorer when the download has completed.
- Double click on the file. This will extract all the driver files into a directory on your hard drive.
The directory these files are extracted to will have a similar name to the file that was downloaded (i.e., c:/clj8550pcl5cwin2kxp).
However, you can change the path and directory name at the time of extracting the file.
- Open the Printers Window (Click Start-Settings-Printers).
- Update the printer if it was previously installed
- Right click on the printer and select Properties from the pop menu.
- On the General tab, select New Driver.
- Click on the Warning Box that pops up.
- A printer listing box will appear. Select Have Disk.
- Another box Install from Disk appears.
- Click the Browse to locate the expanded files directory (i.e., c:/clj8550pcl5cwin2kxp).
- Click on the file ending with .inf .
- Click Open and then Okay and let files install.
- Add the printer if it hasn nott been installed yet.
- Click Add New Printer
- Follow the instructions of the Add Printer Wizard.
Download HP LaserJet 8550 XP OS Driver here.
- Laserjet 1012 Driver Fix for Windows Vista
- Download HP LaserJet 8550 XP OS Driver