Yamaha PORTATONE PSR-225GM 61 Piano-size Touch-sensitive Key General MIDI Portable Keyboard
Windows 2000 and Windows XP (ver. 2.2.4), Windows Vista and Windows 7 (ver. 3.0.4) 32bit/64bit, Windows 98, Windows ME, Mac OS X (10.4.11 to 10.6.x), Mac OS 8.6 to 9.2.2
Driver Date & Version
2009/10/22 (ver. 3.0.4)
You can use the UX16 MIDI/USB converter to connect between your Yamaha PSR-225GM MIDI keyboard and your computer. The setup is pretty simple and straightforward. You simply connect the UX16 to your USB connector on your computer and plug the MIDI in and out cables (shown in the photo below). The actual length of the USB cable is 2 feet and the length of the MIDI cables is a little over 4 feet. The other end of UX16 goes to your Yamaha PSR-225GM keyboard.
You will have to install a driver so that your computer knows about the UX16 and the driver is included with the interface on a CD-ROM. The USB-MIDI driver is software that transfers MIDI data back and forth between your music software and the instrument via a USB cable.
Yamaha now provides up to Windows 7 driver for PSR-225GM MIDI/USB connection. There are different versions for 32bit and 64bit Windows so please make sure you are downloading the correct driver. 32bit driver is named um304x86.zip while 64bit windows driver is named um304x64.zip
I tried to download the 32bit Windows XP driver and opened up the zipped driver file. There is only one SETUP.EXE file and couples of release notes and installation guide PDF files in different languages. So to install the driver you just have to double click on the SETUP.EXE file.
Yamaha PSR-225GM MIDI USB Driver Installation Guide
- Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except for the mouse and computer keyboard.
- Start the computer and use the [Administrator] account to log on Windows. Close all applications and windows that are open.
- Turn off the power of the instrument.
- Connect the USB connector of the computer to the USB TO HOST connector of the MIDI instrument with a standard USB cable. If your instrument has a HOST SELECT switch, set the switch to [USB.]
- Do not use a USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.
- If you are using several MIDI instruments with USB connection at the same time, connect all the instruments to the computer and turn on the power for all of them, then perform the following installation procedure.
- Turn on the power of the instrument(s).
- When the [Found New Hardware Wizard] window appears, click [Cancel].
- When the message [Device driver software was not successfully installed.] appears, continue the installation procedure.
- On some computers, it may take a few minutes before this screen appears.
- After the downloaded compressed file is properly extracted, double-click the file [setup.exe.] The [Preparing to install] window appears. The next window will appear after finishing this preparation.
- If the [User Account Control] window appears, click [Continue] or [Yes].
- When the [Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver] window appears, click [Next].
- If the warning message below appears during the installation, click [Yes], [Continue Anyway], or [Install].
- When a message appears indicating that the driver has been successfully installed, click [Finish].
- When a window appears prompting you to restart the computer, do so. Restart the computer by following the on-screen directions.
- Download Droid User Manual
- Download Yamaha PSR-225GM MIDI USB Driver