Toshiba Satellite 100/105 User Manual
Microsoft Multimedia Viewer 220.127.116.114 (included)
Driver Date & Version
01/06/96 (ver. 1.0)
Wow, this is sure one of the hardest-to-use user manuals I have seen so far. Actually it is pretty easy to find and download. But the easy part ends here.
Below is how I managed to extract the user manual:
- The Toshiba Satellite 100CS user manual available in Toshiba driver download site is in EXE format, dated back to year 1998, when floppy disks still exist.
- The EXE (in DiskXpress format) requires two 1.44 MB floppy disks to install the online manual viewer. Seems that in year 1998 [online] refers to [on PC] ;)
- Thinking maybe the file is in a simple zipped format, tried rename to zip extension but no luck.
- Now where do I store my 1.44 MB floppy drive and disk? wait.. I have not see them in YEARS!
- Luckily I remember there is a thing called [Floppy Drive Emulator] and a little googling I managed to find this small nifty utility [Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1] (link)
- Emulator installation/troubleshooting/setting up.... (10 minutes job)
- Loaded the emulator and try to run the DiskXpress EXE. 1st Disk extracted (make a copy of all the files in disk 1 to a folder in C:/), then follow by Disk 2 (make a copy of the files as well).
- Now I have 2 folders (c:/disk1/ and c:/disk2).
- In DISK1 folder I have a INSTALL.EXE, run it and the online manual program read from floppy drive (a:/) and creates a c:/doc/ folder and try to install the actual Toshiba Satellite 100CS manual in it. Good.
- After disk 1 complete, INSTALL.EXE ask for DISK2 instead. Now you will have to delete all files in your emulated/virtual a:/ and copy the files in your c:/disk2/ to the virtual a:/
- The online manual installation completed. A start menu shortcut is created:
[Start] -> [Programs] -> [Toshiba Utilities] -> [Users Guide]
- Finally you will see the Microsoft Multimedia Viewer program displaying the Satellite 100CS manual. Success!
Now, calm down. You do not have to go through what I have done above. I have made a copy of all the necessary files and packed them into a zip file your easier download. You will have to download and unzip, then run [manual.cmd] file to read the user manual. Easy as that.
Toshiba really should make a PDF file out of the ancient floppy disk manual viewer program. Imagine average users have to struggle and go through all the hustle just to view the manual.
- Download Toshiba 32AV502R Manual
- Download Toshiba Satellite 100CS Manual