Toshiba Satellite 100/105 User Manual
Microsoft Multimedia Viewer 18.104.22.1684 (included)
Driver Date & Version
01/06/96 (ver. 1.0)
Wow, this is sure one of the hardest-to-use user manuals I have seen so far. Actually it is pretty easy to find and download. But the easy part ends here.
Below is how I managed to extract the user manual:
- The Toshiba Satellite 100CS user manual available in Toshiba driver download site is in EXE format, dated back to year 1998, when floppy disks still exist.
- The EXE (in DiskXpress format) requires two 1.44 MB floppy disks to install the online manual viewer. Seems that in year 1998 [online] refers to [on PC] ;)
- Thinking maybe the file is in a simple zipped format, tried rename to zip extension but no luck.
- Now where do I store my 1.44 MB floppy drive and disk? wait.. I have not see them in YEARS!
- Luckily I remember there is a thing called [Floppy Drive Emulator] and a little googling I managed to find this small nifty utility [Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1] (link)
- Emulator installation/troubleshooting/setting up.... (10 minutes job)
- Loaded the emulator and try to run the DiskXpress EXE. 1st Disk extracted (make a copy of all the files in disk 1 to a folder in C:/), then follow by Disk 2 (make a copy of the files as well).
- Now I have 2 folders (c:/disk1/ and c:/disk2).
- In DISK1 folder I have a INSTALL.EXE, run it and the online manual program read from floppy drive (a:/) and creates a c:/doc/ folder and try to install the actual Toshiba Satellite 100CS manual in it. Good.
- After disk 1 complete, INSTALL.EXE ask for DISK2 instead. Now you will have to delete all files in your emulated/virtual a:/ and copy the files in your c:/disk2/ to the virtual a:/
- The online manual installation completed. A start menu shortcut is created:
[Start] -> [Programs] -> [Toshiba Utilities] -> [Users Guide]
- Finally you will see the Microsoft Multimedia Viewer program displaying the Satellite 100CS manual. Success!
Now, calm down. You do not have to go through what I have done above. I have made a copy of all the necessary files and packed them into a zip file your easier download. You will have to download and unzip, then run [manual.cmd] file to read the user manual. Easy as that.
Toshiba really should make a PDF file out of the ancient floppy disk manual viewer program. Imagine average users have to struggle and go through all the hustle just to view the manual.
Download Toshiba Satellite 100CS Manual here.
- Download Toshiba 32AV502R Manual
- Download Toshiba Satellite 100CS Manual