Realtek ALC883 sound used in ASUS M2A-VM motherboard.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32bit/64bit)
Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Driver Date & Version
10/10/2009 (ver. V126.96.36.19904 (XP)
ver. V188.8.131.5204 (Vista/Windows 7))
Many Windows XP users are having this [Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure] problem when installing the audio driver for their ASUS M2A-VM. By the way the sound chip is Realtek ALC883.
Basically there are two ways to get around to solve this problem, according to some users of Majorgeek forum who managed to install the sound driver. Apparently this is something to do with a particular Windows Update KB888111 and [Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio].
You may try any one of the following solutions:
- Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it is installed but not working)
- In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
- Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
- Click on the Properties tab
- Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Updates/Windows XP/SP3/KB888111
- On the Edit menu, click Delete.
- Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
- Restart Windows and retry the installation.
Method 2 (Simpler)
- Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the [MS UAA High Definition Bus] driver.
- Disable the device and uninstall it.
- You will be able to load the Realtek driver. Reboot.
Download ASUS M2A-VM Sound Driver for Windows XP here.
- Download ALS100 Sound Card Drivers for Win3.11
- Download ASUS M2A-VM Sound Driver for Windows XP