3C996-T and 3C996-SX 3Com 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC
Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP 32, Windows XP 64, SCO OpenServer 5.0.X , Version 2.2.11, UnixWare 7/Caldera Open Unix 8, RedHat Linux, SuSE Linux
Driver Date & Version
04/05/2004 (ver. 2.1)
For 3C996-T based 3Com 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC, 3Com has listed few available driver download on its page. The latest driver version is a 0.40 MB driver update file version 220.127.116.11 and I assume you will need to install the full base driver prior to this update. The latest full driver installation file is 55.40 MB and with version number 2.1.
However, when I try to download both files from ftp.3com.com, both driver files return a [550 Failed to change directory] error. Have a look yourself here. The driver date was back in year 2004 so I guess 3Com has somehow managed to change the ftp file directory structure without updating this page. Anyway, I managed to locate the driver file on another website which allow us to download.
According to the driver information page above, 3Com 10/100/1000 PCI-X server NIC are supported up to Windows 2003 (and various Linux/SCO Openserver flavors). No mention of newer Windows OS such as
Windows XP (see paragraph below), Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. So to use this 3Com Dual Port 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC on the newer Windows OS, try at your own risk.
After I downloaded and extracted the zipped self-extract exe driver file, I managed to see /WindowsXP32/ and /WindowsXP64/ folders. According to the INF file, we can determine this driver does support the following NIC models:
- 3Com 10/100/1000 PCI
- 3Com 3C1000 Gigabit NIC
- 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LOM
- 3Com 3C996 10/100/1000 Server NIC
- 3Com 3C996 Gigabit Fiber-SX Server NIC
- 3Com 3C996B Gigabit Server NIC
- 3Com Dual Port 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC
- Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
- Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet
- Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
- Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Fiber
- Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Fiber WOL
Dual Port 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC Windows XP 32-bit Driver Installation
- Use the following procedure to install the driver for the first time in a system running Windows XP 32-bit version.
- Start Windows and log in. You must have Network Administrator privileges to install the driver software
- Download and run the 3Com Driver Installation exe (996_cd_21.exe)
- The main menu appears. Select NIC Software.
- From the list on the left, select NIC Drivers.
- Click Install NIC Drivers.
- Click Install Win XP 32 NIC Drivers.
- The Please Wait screen appears. After the installation is complete, and Update dialog box appears. Click OK.
- The Choose Operating System screen appears. Click Windows XP .
- Follow the steps in the Completing NIC Installation with Windows XP screen. After you are through, click Done. The drivers are installed.
- Download Coby MP C781 MP3 Player Drivers
- Download 3Com Dual Port 10/100/1000 PCI-X Server NIC Driver